How to Organise Rehabilitation and Treatment for your CTP Claim

Although some people do not require any treatment for their injuries following an accident, it’s fairly common for people to receive some form of treatment from a doctor or physiotherapist in order to speed up or assist their recovery. If you’re injured in an accident, then rehabilitation can play a crucial role in helping you recover to full fitness or stop your injuries from lessening your quality of life.

You should see a doctor as soon as possible following your accident, as rehabilitation is most effective when the process begins shortly after the injury is sustained. All of the injuries you have sustained should be listed as part of your car accident injury claim.

Who Pays for Rehabilitation and Treatment Expenses?

Providing they accept liability, the CTP insurer will pay for your rehabilitation and treatment expenses. However, you should obtain approval for the use of rehabilitation services for any car accident claims before you begin treatment.

If your vehicle accident claims are ongoing and liability hasn’t yet been accepted, then you can pay for your own rehabilitation costs and ask for these to be reimbursed at a later date. However, there is no guarantee that you will be reimbursed for the ongoing cost of treatment if the insurer hasn’t given prior approval.

Organising Rehabilitation and Treatment

There are two ways that you can organise any rehabilitation or treatment required with the insurer after you have submitted any relevant car accident claims: either they can contact you, or you can contact them.

The information that you provide on your claim form and medical certificate will inform the insurer whether rehabilitation is required to help you recover from the injuries you have sustained. If the insurer sees this information as part of the motor vehicle accident claims documents you’ve submitted, then they may contact you directly to discuss your rehabilitation.

However, if either you or your doctor think that you require rehabilitation, then you can either call or write to the insurer directly, requesting that they pay for the rehabilitation service. If you have a car accident lawyer acting on your behalf, then they can also do this for you. Alternatively, you can also ask your treatment provider to contact the insurer and request that they fund your rehabilitation.

Whichever way you and the insurer come to an agreement or contact each other, the insurer will ask to see rehabilitation recommendations in writing. This can either come in the form of a letter from your doctor or a treatment plan used by physiotherapists and psychologists.

What Will the CTP Insurer Pay For?

If the insurer accepts liability for your car accident claim, then the insurer will pay for any treatment expenses, as long as they are:

  • Reasonable and appropriate (your doctor can advise you of this)
  • Directly related to injuries from the accident
  • Verifiable via bills and receipts that can be handed to the insurer upon request

What if Liability is Denied?

If liability is denied by the insurer, then you are responsible for all of your own treatment and rehabilitation expenses. During this time, you may be able to claim some of the costs via Medicare, private health insurance or personal injury insurance, depending on your circumstances.

If you disagree with the decision of the insurer to not accept liability, you can ask the insurer to refer your claim to their internal dispute resolution service. If the decision is then overturned, you will be reimbursed for any costs.

If your dispute with the insurer cannot be satisfactorily resolved, then a mediator may be appointed. However, both parties must consent to this. If negotiation and mediation both do not work, then either you or the insurer can apply directly to the court to decide on your motor vehicle accident claims.

If you’re submitting a car accident injury claim and would like the advice of a car accident lawyer, then please contact us.